Hope for the peace I now know

by Andrew Orocay


I never knew that peace was such a big deal.

I’m young – life revolves around Facebook, tagging photos, going out with friends, spending time with family, watching TV shows, handling a performing arts group, and serving for a church. There revolves my concept of peace. As long as everything’s going fine and running smoothly, it’s peaceful.

However, recently, everything changed.

I suddenly got acquainted with peace from different people and in different packages. From tons of news on the peace process to a handful of forums on peace and security, from eloquent military men to passionate NGO workers, from intellectual teachers to strong-willed politicians – they all introduced me to peace on a whole new level.

And yes, I’m thankful.

All along, the peace I know was just peace for me and for the little world around me. Little did I imagine that the issue of peace also transcends to thousands of Filipinos involved in years of struggle and conflict. There are things they call the Moro struggle, the insurgencies, the internally displaced, the peace agreement, the social contract, the ‘winning the peace’, and a whole lot of terms I never really comprehended. There are acronyms which are not just merely letters but bodies that permeate lands and souls – MILF, CPP, NPA, NDF, AFP, IDPs.

Now, the peace I know has made me “hopeful.”

For this season, the government and the CPP/NPA/NDF peace panels both agreed for a suspension of offensive military operations – a Christmas truce some say. Good thing, at least we’re all confident that the whole nation can give gifts and sing Christmas songs without gun-fires and bloodshed (at least in theory). Nineteen days of free and calm holidays from the government and the communists.

As the government remains hopeful for the sound implementation of this commitment, I, as a kid on this peace process, am also expectant for the good fruits that this covenant shall produce. Like how a boy yearns for his first bike, I also long for that sweet ride of peace building.

For now, I see the Christmas truce as a foreshadowing.

Things may be blurry, disagreements may arise from both sides, and lives may have been sacrificed just before the SOMO starts – but I still believe. Though a part of me says that the 19 days are just made of artificial or manufactured peace, there still lives the confidence that someday and somehow we’ll get there… and we’ll get there soon. Genuine peace. Lasting peace. Soon, they will not just be theories and labels. They will be realities and achieved promises.

The best way now is optimism.

So let’s act by that optimism – an optimism guided by wisdom and justice – wisdom and justice perfected in unity and solidarity – all strengthened by hope and faith.

Good thing we have Christmas. Because of one boy who once lived, we have these 19 hopeful days of peace. Because of that one boy who once lived, peace shall come. Or I shall say, it has come.

So I guess this Christmas will be a little different. Because, maybe, this time, it is a little less me. More of peace and less of me. More of my country and less of me.

###
________________________________________

The opinions expressed by the authors and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the official stand of OPAPP.


OPAPP makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. It will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. It will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.


OPAPP reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to profanity, language or concepts that could be deemed offensive, and spam or questionable spam.
This policy is subject to change anytime.


Comments

Popular Posts