RAMADAN: a time of light and peace

By Oha-Al



"Ramadan is the (month) in which the Qur’an was sent down, as a guide to mankind and a clear guidance and judgment (so that mankind will distinguish from right and wrong)…" (Al Baqarah, Q 2:185)

A few months ago, I bumped into an art professor. He is a man that can be aptly called jack of all trades yet a master of One who is God. Unbeknownst to many, this man has taught and molded numerous students, the latest being me. I have to say that since the time he introduced Islam to me, I never stopped asking about it. I guess it was more than just the burning curiosity for I found myself embracing it.

Islam in itself is the most profound practice I have ever encountered. Allow me to use the word practice instead of religion. In my humble knowledge and understanding, religion is but a qualifier and practice is another matter altogether. Many people engage themselves in several religions, sects and perhaps groups, but the probing question is can they stand by it and make it an integral and formidable part of their everyday living? That is the challenge I have kept to myself as I thrive each day with Allah. I have found a bigger purpose in life as I dedicate time and love for Allah. I will have to beg for your indulgence but I will not depict nor note other practices for that was part of a journey; it was a learning process I intend to keep when I enrolled into this another school of life. I take each day with Islam as a blessing. I walk with light and joy. I gain wisdom as I unravel each lesson with much gusto. Each day that unfolds is a remarkable step in this new journey, this time, with Allah.

This is the first time I have observed Ramadan. It is an observance that has changed my life in more ways than one. It is equally challenging and fulfilling.

It is challenging because, of course, this is the first time I took fasting seriously that it has become a pledge. I tried my best to be true to its very essence. Mind you, in a job that requires a lot of mental energy, food and drinks are essentials to keep you going. The first few days of Ramadan were the most crucial for me. I always tell myself that other practitioners were able to do it for several years so I should be able to make it too. I would also often tell myself, this is the reality, the true practice. Day 18 and so far, I think I am doing well.

Likewise, Ramadan is a fulfilling experience for me. They say that more than doing the needed sacrifice, meditation is also a must. Moreover, fasting should be substantiated with prayers, meditations and reflections. These past few days, I have kept praying and thanking Allah for all His wonders. I can attest to several encounters when Allah never failed to help and guide me, I can only enumerate as much. That to me is one of the greatest fulfillments I have attained.

Now more than ever, fasting is one activity I definitely love to be part of. It feels like I have been closer to Allah. It is such a wonderful and humbling experience for me that I will always be looking forward to every year. Clearly, it has made me realize a lot of things. It has changed my ways and norms, especially the bad ones I used to deal with. It has made me more mindful and cautious and humbly speaking, changed and renewed.

I know that I have yet to learn and discover more. I believe that there are a thousand reasons why Allah has led me to this path. I wish I can write too a thousand rhymes that can exalt the great name that is Allah. Soon, I will embark on reading more of the Qur’an. I started with Surah Al-Fatiha and the opening chapter of the seven verses alone changed my perceptions. Every time I hold the Qur’an, it feels like I never want to stop going through the pages and understand, appreciate and praise Allah. As I get into deeper knowledge, it is my fervent wish that the light and peace I found when I started embracing Islam will be more inflamed and thus, will be shared to others.

To me, Ramadan is a great start, a window and a gate leading to greater horizons of peace. After all, that is what Islam beholds. I saw light and peace, I know and understand that I have to make people see and feel that too.
###
________________________________________
Be a peace blogger and contribute your master-peace! 
Send any features, news, photos, videos, or any stories at peace@opapp.gov.ph
The opinions expressed by the authors and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the official stand of OPAPP.
OPAPP makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. It will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. It will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
OPAPP reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to profanity, language or concepts that could be deemed offensive, and spam or questionable spam.
This policy is subject to change anytime.

Comments

Popular Posts